Sunday, April 02, 2006

Memory and Desire

April is the cruelest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
Winter kept us warm, covering
Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
A little life with dried tubers.

Ah yes, the over quoted Wasteland by T. S. Eliot.

But, something happened recently that drop-kicked memory and self-reflection into high gear: I went to see “Imprints: a Photo Project by Tom Berthiaume” at the Bookmen Stacks.

60+ portraits of Minneapolis luminaries. Our local celebs, if you will. Politicians, artists, singers, impresarios. Artists and politicos. The people that shape our city. The stuff of great show. Very hip and definitely, not square. Tom's style: elegant yet without pretension. Spare. Avedon-esque, even. Tom was gracious, sincere and generous with his credit for all the contributors. Classic Berthiaume. It was a great evening for him.

The subject matter guaranteed a successful opening night party, and the place was packed. Was it the valet parking, the open bar or the fact that Tom worked with some of the biggest names in the local ad and art scene? Some of his assistants went on to start studios of their own. Young art directors climbed the ladder and ended up as VPs and Creative Directors. His client list was the Who’s Who of Minneapolis Advertising.

Me, I was just a lowly studio manager at Arndt and Berthiaume photography back in the early 80s before the studio split up. Booking models, finding props, billing, finding 4 old bathtubs to hold the booze at the annual party--all good skills for a foundation in Project Management. Too bad I didn't pay more attention to the art and craft of photography. Getting knocked up with Baby #3, aka Nora, ended my full-time studio manager career.

In the 70s, I also worked w/ Tom at the “Twin Cities Express.” An artsy newspaper he started that was a precursor to City Pages and other rags. Great fun but he hemorrhaged money. The Express later inspired our own paper, “The Revue,” when Steve and I were exiled and bored living in LaCrosse, Wisconsin. Also fun. Also a big money loser.

I was ready to see more of Tom's brilliant portraits but I was not prepared for the trip down memory lane. Faces I hadn't seen for years. Talk about stirring dull roots with spring rain--there's nothing like seeing old friends that brings emotion to the surface.

Doris! Doris was there! The people who know and love Doris could populate a small planet. She arrived the day of the opening from Italy looking gorgeous. Expatriate. Luccesian landlady.
  • il Mulino.
  • Amazing cook. And ad scene drop out. She's also one of the first people I met while I worked for Tom. Embraced me into her life and in the process became part of our family. The godmother of my youngest son, Paddy. Former business partner of my brother, Tom. Thirty years started flashing before my eyes. Too much.


















    Lucky me. I've got a small collection of Berthiaume images here at home: Steve's dad, Aut. (Image from an old contact sheet.)













    Steve and I taken the week his mother was dying.

















    Meghan in her first communion dress. My imprints. The people who shaped my landscape. And I am grateful to have them. Here in MadgeWorld we also like to give credit where credit is due. Never again have I had a job where the entire scruffy staff took all afternoon for lunch at 510 Groveland, then went home drunk. Thanks Bert, for a great time in my life.

    Listening to: Jackson Browne

    8 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My family is so beautiful.

    One question: you couldn't scrounge up one photo of me outside the womb?

    8:10 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Margaret-
    I think of that photo of you and Steve often-- its an iconic romantic, dramatic photo to me. So nice to know its history.
    xo justine

    5:18 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I emailed a link to this entry to Rachel because 1) I liked the entry! and, 2) her dad, Phil, has an Arndt & Berthiaume image hanging in his guest bathroom which always reminds me of you when I see it. In telling Rachel this, I found out 1) Jim is Phil's cousin, and 2) Phil's dad, Roy Swan, photographer for the Mpls. Star (?) evidently taught Jim all he knows! : )
    Sing with me: "It's a small world after all! It's a small world ..."

    11:12 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow, I didn't realize how much Meghan (your Meghan, not my sister Meghan) looked like Uncle Steve until I saw this picture!

    BTW, I'm Jenna, daughter of Paul, who's the son of Roger, who's the brother of Steve.

    Gosh, big Catholic families are complicated!

    7:30 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Margaret!
    I found Meg's site totally by accident and followed links to find Madge!
    Have spent the last hour catching up on your life.
    CONGRATS to you and Steve on your beautiful Granddaughter! Our LillyB will be FOUR in a few weeks...what an incredible joy.
    We will all be in Mpls. mothers day week, would love to catch up.
    Hugs to you all,
    Scheele's

    12:34 AM  
    Blogger MadgeMc said...

    Scheele's if you check back, please let me know how I can get in touch w/you. we would love to see you in May. We'll get the Belks, etc. together. So great to hear from you!
    MMc

    12:06 AM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    Hi Madge,

    Can you help me find Tom Berthiaume or photographs from his archive?

    thanks!
    Alex

    10:16 AM  
    Blogger Katie T said...

    Hello. I just found 2 large portraits by Tom Berthiaume and would like to sell them. Might you be interested? Katie, kmorrow1975@gmail.com

    4:46 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home