Sunday, March 19, 2006

There's a lot of that going around




Yes, they are. They're everywhere. From the highways and byways of our cities and towns, rolling through stop signs, yakking on their cell phones. To the grocery store. Clogging up the Express Check out when they have a cart piled high with processed food. Tell me, what is it about "10 items or fewer" that you don't understand. Illiterate? Or merely rude? They're in public places with their overindulged and ill-behaved children. Their shared family value is a belief that rules do not apply to them. Excuse me, here in MadgeWorld, we say, "get that little schitzu under control before I do it for you."

I worry about this country sometimes. Not just our lack of political leadership or that the dollar isn't worth sh** anymore, or that Cher hasn't really retired or that Saturday Night Live just plain isn't funny. No, it's that people are stupid. I don't mean they are uneducated, because educated people can be amazingly smart and amazingly stupid and devoid of common sense at the same time. I mean they are uninterested. They just don't care. Sadly, the General Public's collective IQ is falling faster than Pamela Anderson's fake boobs.

Do I sound elitist? I hope not. I'm not even a Republican. Stupid people can fall on both sides of the political aisle. Why, just today on NPR I heard an interview with a woman who had just seen Dick Cheney, in person, at a fund-raiser somewhere in Ohio. "I couldn't tell you what he said," she gushed, "it was a thrill to see him. I really feel like an American." Like a Visa card, they're everywhere you want to be. And hard to avoid.

That's why MadgeWorld is so comforting. Visit anytime.

But first, tell me about your encounters with stupidity. Just one per customer please.

Currently listening to: American Idol on TV in the other room. Talk about stupid . . . "He call me a mink!"
Eating: Smarties

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, mom, you're a really good writer. I love your blog.

Secondly, where to start with the stupid people?! I'll have to dig deep to come up with my favorite idiot encounter.

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The more stupid people I encounter, the more silently hostile I become. On the outside, I probably look somewhere between patiently waiting and irritated. But on the inside, I am breaking world records for most creative use of curse words. Also, I'm fighting the urge to scream things like "HURRY UP! MOVE! GO!". I like to imagine if I did it, it would seem sort of appropriate, like when Debra Winger yelled at her son to get in the car in the grocery store parking lot in the movie Terms of Endearment. You know, right after she couldn't pay for the groceries and then had an affair with the man who made up the difference...in so many ways...

8:46 AM  
Blogger MadgeMc said...

Jay, I know what you mean. I feel the same way when people ignore the ablative absolute! I mean, since I finished that post the incidence of stupidity has risen.

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jay Arns has the most powerful mind on Earth. He could brain battle you into pulp, but he won't.

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The interesting thing about words is that one little letter can make all the difference. For example, shut or shit.

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home