Sunday, April 29, 2007

Poetry in Motion

Exhibit A.










How the hell did I miss out on National Poetry month? Of course, it is April so every hack journalist can quote “The Wasteland” and feel smart about things sprouting out of muck. I’ve done it myself. Only two more days of April and it’s all over and not once did I put pen to paper, digits to keypad or mind to rhyme. Sad.
Poetry should be part of everyday reading. Just like the newspaper. Nothing more lovely than a well-written poem – that can smack you in the head with how perfect it is.

I’ve quoted this before, by William Carlos Williams, but who cares:
“It is difficult
to get the news from poems
yet men die miserably every day
for lack
of what is found there.“


What’s found there? In a poem? Whatever it is you happen to need, I say. Whether it’s simplicity, humor, beauty, truth – all that college stuff and more.

How about this everyday Haiku (unearthed from MadgeWorld archives)by one Paddy McInerny, circa 1997.

The angry cat died.
No one liked it anyway.
Wrap it in burlap.


Way to cut to the chase, Paddy. I needed that.

On other springtime fronts: the calla lily bulbs -- stored under the laundry tubs in an old bucket -- started to sprout. So I threw them into some pots on the windowsill and left them to their own devices. The little buggers did a T.S. Elliot on me and actually bloomed.

Exhibit B.



I give you Exhibit B: my calla lilies with store bought tulips. Poetic results -- dare I say.

1 Comments:

Blogger Martha Pettee said...

Margaret - It was crazy good to see you this week. I clicked onto your blog and enjoyed the read. I love your photos. I need a decent camera - as if that will make my pictures good! I am still on blogspot. nowstrikeyournote.blogspot.com. Kind of boring, this is my life kind of stuff. But me all the same.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home