Friday, May 19, 2006

Happy Birthday Paddy!

Patrick Nolan McInerny--21 years old today.
It's today in Minneapolis but it's tomorrow already in Guam.
And that's where Paddy's division, The Fighting Forty -- part of the SeaBees -- are deployed.
Guam, a landmass that's 541 square kilometers. That's smaller than NYC!

My baby! He's all growed up! Check it out.
Here he is, pictured with Meggie, at graduation from Navy Basic Training in Great Lakes in March 2004.













And now, in April, 2006. All growed up with the tattoos to prove it. Nothing like the military to encourage a rise-and-shine mentality, personal responsibility and not to mention--kick-ass uniforms. They took a tall skinny kid and kicked those sagging pants of his right off. Of course, the first time I saw him in the uniform I cried like a 10 year-old girl. Even now, I'm barely holding back the blubbering-where-did-my-babies-go-tears. Paddy can't stand cheap shows of emotion, so I must pull myself together -- it's all about him today.

Knick Knack Paddy Facts:
- He was forced into the world by an induced delivery.
- His first word was creampuff.
- He's the 5th left hander in the family.
- Austin saved his life twice.
- He doesn't have a driver's license.
- His BMX bike is still in the basement.
- His favorite movie is Willie Wonka. The original with Gene Wilder not the lame remake with Johnny Depp. But only after a walk to the creek with Joe Coyle.
- He once broke Nora's tailbone.
- He occasionally prefers the company of Senior Citizens.
- He's very loyal.
- His first nickname was Spudly.
- He is a man of few words and many secrets.
- He hates being the center of attention.
So, from all of us here in MadgeWorld, Happy Birthday, Paddy way out in the middle of the North Pacific Ocean.
May your year be full of many wonderful things.

3 Comments:

Blogger mopsa said...

Happy Birthday, McNugget!

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually i think his first nickname was "Duke." remember that?

11:01 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I'm a little worried about what a "walk to the creek with Joe Coyle" might possibly be a euphemism for. But I don't really want to know, so don't tell me. Kind of like my refusal to check on my kids' My Space pages.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home