Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Buon Compleano mia sorella!



It's hard to be friends with your little sister when she's 4 and you're 9. Five years is a world of difference in those early years. Ditto when she's an awkward 13 and you're 18. You're both angst-ridden and surley in your own special ways. I'm not quite sure when My Sister and I became real friends. But I'm glad we did. Here's just a few of the reasons why:

- Two words: ROAD TRIP! We once drove from Memphis, then down through the entire state of Mississippi and didn't get arrested or beat up.

- She'll say anything to anybody. Example: We're standing in a service station in Po-Dunk, Minnesota watching a kid change our flat tire. His right hand is missing all 4 fingers.
My Sister, "So, what happened to the hand?"
Me: inwardly cringing.
My Sister to one of the Nephews: "So, what's with the nose ring?"
To some random, ill-behaved, noisy child, "Stop that!"

- She likes cemeterys as much as I do.

- She gives the best presents: one year it was rubber stamps -- "Do I look like I give a rat's ass?" and "I don't give a shit." The best Christmas. Ever!
This year, it was small buttons with a tastefully designed "shitballs." (my current favorite curse word.) Way to spread the holiday spirit.

- She swears like a longshoreman. You know that bad guy on Deadwood? Well, I think My Sister taught him a few choice words. Words that once got Lenny Bruce arrested.
- The general public annoys her.

- She knows how to get shit done. Seriously. If Eisenhower hadn't been available to manage the D-Day invasion, My Sister could have handled it. In her sleep.

- She understands my verbal shorthand.
- She's always on time. And I'm usually late. Take this birthday greeting, for example. One day late.

- Such a joker! She once presented me with a little Tiffany box. You know, the famous Tiffany Blue Box. Inside, there was a pair of JCPenney size XXXXL underware. In a lovely shade of blue. Ha. Ha. Very funny. Especially when I wore them over my clothes and there was still room for another person.

- She knows her limitations. When the gals get together for Stitch 'n Bitch she skips the stitching and sticks to the bitching.

- She knows what's important. Work is just work. It's all the other stuff that matters.

Happy Birthday! Who gives a shit if you're over 50?
Lots of love Sister as we head into the second half of our lives.

Currently listening to: "Sisters are Doing it for Themselves" Aretha and "Yesterday" the Beatles
Enjoying: sicilian olives

1 Comments:

Blogger mrn said...

Thanks for the @#&$^&%@ homage!! I f*ckin' love you. MRN

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home