Friday, September 08, 2006

Work in progress.

September 8
Friday evening 9:49 pm
57 degrees
Cloudy

OK. I'm a nerd. I admit it. Simple things amuse me.
I like to make things -- the sillier the better.
Like knitting a striped kitten. With "britches" on.

The problem is -- well, there are several problems.
1. My things bear little resemblance actual pattern. Instead of looking like a "kitten with britches," my effort resembles a striped butternut squash. My thalidomide kitten. Of course, it's still in it's nascent phase.

2. I improvise before mastering.




3. I have a hard time finishing them. But am I discouraged because my efforts look amateurish? That I'm doomed to be a less-than-average-knitter? Or because the kids on the playground are making fun? Hell, no! Let the absurdity continue.

Awhile back, I resolved to finish everything before starting something new.
I offer up this, this, object to you, dear readers to publicly proclaim that YES, I will finish this project. I will sew on the little button eyes. I will knit the little ears, and kitten appendages and then sew them on. And then I will reveal my kitten for all the world (or at least the 2 people who read this blog) to see.

Contain yourself.

This week's fitness Report: Tuesday = Yoga. Wednesday = Workout w/ Chad. Thursday = Ran 3 miles. Friday = Workout w/ Chad. Tomorrow @ 8:30 am = Yoga.

Currently = exhausted.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love starting projects, and really hate finishing them. If I were you, I'd forget limbs on that cat and just add some ears and eyes now. You are an ARTIST. You're not a paint-by-number kind of woman, I see no reason not to interpret this concept in your own way.

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, am an improviser. Unfortunately, I don't have Jennie's knack for making anything I touch look amazing. Here is my mantra when my cat looks gourdish - I apply the Amish concept of the "vanity square" - they always made intentional mistakes in their quilting so they wouldn't be too proud. My mistakes? An effort to please God by not being too proud. Try it. It works. At least I feel better about my gourd cat.

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I call dibs on the kitten in britches.

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home