Saturday, July 22, 2006

Birthday Resolution #1.

Earlier this month I celebrated a birthday. Let's just say I'm a lot closer to 60 than I am to 50. Shitballs. I'm a little stunned about it. I remember when I was about 11 and started reading the Minneapolis Tribune on Saturday mornings. They had the crime report on the same page as the comics. I'd read the blurbs, "Joe Jones, 19 arrested for stealing a car--or some other juvenile deliquent behavior." 19. It sounded so old. So far away. MadgeWorld only tolerates looking ahead, not wallowing in the past. So, instead of whining about how damn old I'm getting, this year involves making some resolutions. Why not. It's my New Year.

1. Finish all projects before starting any new ones.
I suffer from ADD of the crafting and home improvement world. Sewing. Knitting. Beading. Photography. Every new activity requires several trips to the fabric store, Bobby Bead, National Camera, Value Village or Target. A simple bracelet costs me $150 in supplies and then I never finish it. Actually, I NEVER start simply. I always start with the most complicated version.

The family room is piled high with several knitting projects. A 12-foot table in the basement is covered with photos, paper scraps, glue sticks. The dining room wall looks like an ancient fresco because I started removing flaking paint. Started. Not finished. Many projects. All in progress. Enough is enough. Time to take radical action.



Here's a sample of what's to be finished:
- Photo album for Mo and Di. Started for Christmas 2005.

- Photo album "travels with mom" started for Christmas 2005.
- Beaded bracelet started for Hooly's birthday. Circa 2003.
- Photo albums for Steve's siblings w/ photos from Meg's wedding. 2005.
- Scarf for Molly Belk. Started last winter. Black and Orange. Go Tigers!
- Sweater for Trixie. Started three months ago.
- Knitted Kitten. Second one. Long story. Ask Carol Henderson.
- Dining room painting project.
- Basement ceiling and walls. Ripped out last year. Find contractor to put back together.
- Install ceiling fan in bedroom. Purchased in 2002.
- 6-foot cobblestone walkway in front of house.

- Here's why I'm truly pathetic. I started this needlepoint project OVER 25 YEARS AGO!
Why start simple. It's pearl cotton on penelope canvas and incorporates a complicated counted cross stitch border. One missed stitch and your hearts won't join up. Sweet little petit point flowers and lettering.








I was making it for an anniversary. The Mister's name. My Name. Our Anniversary date -- yet to be stitched. The pattern incorporated the sentiment "Endless Love" because the border has that endless pattern effect. I substituted the Marine Corp. motto as more appropriate. Time to bring it all together? I think so. If I can ever find the book with the pattern!

Oh, the list goes on and on. I'm going to stop now and get cracking on. . . well, something. There are lots to choose from.

Listening to: The sweet sounds of summer.
Finishing: breakfast.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I'll have to take craft and project inventory soon, my list is nearly as long as yours and I'll only be 33 this year. If I were a mathematician, I could probably figure out some kind of formula that would show how high my pile of projects would be in another 20 years. Maybe I should add it to my list to find a mathematician.

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a special malady that has no cure. After 41 years of marriage, I still have some things saved for projects started in the early years. What I don't understand is why more got done when I had 4 children at home than now when they are all gone and I can supposedly "find the time?"

Anyway, many's the box of yarn/stained glass/ fabric (oh, the fabric!)/etc. that has been given to the Goodwill or some other place only to be replaced by a current enthusiasm, later to be abandoned.

10:42 PM  
Blogger MadgeMc said...

Actually, I was thinking that same thing myself. Now that the kids are gone WHY DON'T I HAVE MORE TIME? I once made 24 roman shades for my house when I was 8 months pregnant with #3. Now, I can't even finish the crossword puzzle.

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My best moment was when I was in my sister's wedding 3 weeks after giving birth to my third child. I actually made my own bridesmaid (matron, I guess) dress and 2 flower girl dresses after giving birth in between nursing and getting my 2 older kids to nursery school and kindergarten. Ask me to do that now and I'd say, "Are you crazy? I'm B-U-S-Y!"

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home